Previous Week


Death by his Own Hand.

The train down from Carrington yesterday evening brought the dead body of Harry Smith who had killed himself about noon. Coroner Eager empaneled a jury consisting of T. Foley, F. C. McKay and E. P. Holmes and in the presence of the dead body in the ladies waiting room at the depot proceeded to hear the evidence which elicited the following facts:

He started from the home of his parents at St. Johns, Vt., about three weeks ago and arrived here in due time. A young lady named Luellian Adams, his cousin, with whom he had for sometime been engaged to be married, preceded him to this country for a few weeks, and the consummation of that event seems to have been the object of his coming here. She made her home with the family of Ellery Barnes, an old acquaintance back east, now living about two miles west of Melville, to which place young Smith went on his arrival, they being old acquaintances of his also, and where he made his home also. He came down to Jamestown Friday evening, staid {sp} all night and yesterday morning returned to Melville in apparent good spirits, and from there went out to Mr. Barnes' house. It seems that Miss Adams had discarded him, and about noon he asked her if she "meant to thrown him overboard" to which she replied that she did. A short time afterward he asked her to walk out with him to which she assented and they proceeded some 200 yards when she said she could not go farther, and turned to go back. He then asked her if she still intended to do as she had said at the house, to which she replied that she did, and started to go back to the house. She had only proceeded a short distance when she heard a shot and on looking back saw young Smith still standing but he fell immediately afterward. She ran back to him, but he did not speak and died a few minutes later. She then ran to the house in great excitement and in her frenzy attempted to poison herself with sugar of lead which she had to use for sore eyes but did not take enough to affect her seriously. She came down here with Mr. Burnham, father of Mrs. Barnes, and seemed to be in such distress and so prostrated by nervous excitement that she fainted two or three times while at the depot and had to be taken to the hotel. Young Smith was about 21 years old and Miss Adams is about 17. The weapon with which the unfortunate young man ended his life was a 22 caliber revolver, the ball entering his head just back of the right temple. It was developed in the inquest that Smith was a young man of good and industrious habits. His appearance indicated that he was a strong and healthy young man. All circumstances combined to make it a peculiarly sad case.

Following the verdict of the coroner's jury:

An inquisition holden at Jamestown, in Stutsman county, Territory of Dakota, on the 28th day of April, 1883, before J. T. Eager, coroner of said county, upon the dead body of Harry Smith, there lying dead, by the jurors whose names are hereunto subscribed; the said jurors upon their oath do say that Harry Smith came to his death by suicide from a pistol shot by his own hand.

In testimony whereof, the said jurors have hereunto set their hands the day and year aforesaid.

Thos Foley, F. C. McKay, E.P. Holmes.

Attest: J. T. Eager, Coroner.

Jamestown Weekly Alert, 5/4/1883

The Termination of a Mouse River Tragedy.

Special to the Alert.

Bismarck, May 1—Early in last December a man by the name of Jack Woodruff mysteriously disappeared from his home on Mouse river and a many by the name of Chas. Bailey was suspected of foul play. Bailey told so many different stories that he was suspected by the citizens of having a hand in Woodruff's disappearance and a close watch was kept on his movements. On the 8th day of April he crossed the Mouse river and on the 9th struck out for the Canadian line with his wife and family and the stock formerly belonging to Woodruff. A volunteer party was formed to follow Bailey. The party were out four days and captured Bailey about 4 miles below the forks. They told him he was suspected of murder and that he must go with them. He said all right but requested they go above the forks and and {sp} get his family. William Wilson and D. Weston remained to guard the prisoner while the rest went for the family. While waiting Wilson went to a stable near by and Weston sat down to write a letter, leaving his gun in a corner. Bailey grabbed the gun and started to run when he was met by Wilson who ordered him to stop which he refused to do. Shots were exchanged, the one fired by Wilson taking effect passing entirely through Bailey's body and one arm. Bailey lived three hours and confessed to the murder of Woodruff and said he had thrown the body in the river. Wilson came to Bismarck to-day and gave himself up to the authorities bringing with him a written statement of the confession of Bailey, testified to by those who heard it, some six or eight in number.

Jamestown Weekly Alert, 5/4/1883

Anna Everson, a young woman 22 years of age, dropped dead on the streets of the notorious city of Fargo. She was a dope fiend.

Ward County Independent, 3/14/1907


According to the program laid out by the sheriff, William Ross was executed last night at 1:15 o'clock. A while before the ordeal Father Turcott who has been his spiritual advisor, entered the cell of the doomed man and told him the program, and asked him if he would need to be assisted up the scaffold steps. For some time through the efforts of the father he has professed complete redemption, and declared he died cheerfully, and preferred his fate to that of Carl Hanson.

At 1 o'clock sheriff Gardner read the death warrant to him and shortly after the march was taken to the scaffold. Robed in a new suit of black, in which he will be buried, he followed the priest as freely and cheerfully as though going to a picnic. The order up the scaffold steps was the Sheriff, Judge Murray of Minot, Father Turcott, then Ross followed by the deputies. Without a moment of hesitation he took his place on the trap. The straps binding his arms and legs were fastened and the noose put on his neck. He looked down and examined his appearance and smiled. Asked if he had anything to say, he answered in a clear voice: "I am sorry for all the sins I have done and I ask forgiveness from all I have harmed and forgive all who have harmed me. I have told the truth all throuth."

To the question put by Judge Murray of Minot: "Who killed Napolian LeMay?" he answered in a firm voice: "Carl Hanson..." Continuing he said, "I bid you all good by."

Just before the black cap was drawn over his head he kissed the crucifix and said, May God forgive me for my sins."

Sheriff Gardner then bid him goodby, and the next second the trap was spring the rope snapped, neck cracked and the body dangled at the end of a ten foot rope, which had been tested the day before with a 250lb. anvil and not found wanting. Some think the trap was not spring too soon as he was beginning to show signs of a collapse. Life was declared extinct by the three physicians present in seven minutes and he was shortly after cut down. The rope was buried so deep in the neck it had to be cut out. The face in death looked quite natural—except the tongue slightly protruded from the pratly {sp} open teeth and lips. There was some blood on the lips and tip of nose, and the hangman's knot cut the skin back of the left ear. The remains were at once turned over to Mr. Greiner and removed to his undertaking rooms where they were viewed by the curious crowd this forenoon. The silver cross which hung around his neck was taken off by Judge Murray and sent to his wife. Thus ends the earthly career of William Ross. No commend need be made or lessons drawn. The News like Judge Murray of Minot has declared from the first that he was a bad man and no doubt he met a just end. We hope however the redemption he lately professed was true. Owing to the early hour of the execution there were not many people in the vicinity of the gallows, though quite a number more than the law allowed were inside, including three news paper men.

Ward County Independent, 3/11/1903


It seems necessary to give the Milnor Teller as authority for the following: Several years ago Charles Blythe was accidentally shot in the mouth with a 22-calibre rifle, and the ball lodged in his neck or throat in such a way as to render any attempt to secure the ball impossible. It did not trouble him much and day by day the wound gradually healed, so that it was hardly ever noticed by Mr. Blythe in after years. Last week, however, things took a turn in his throat, and he felt a queer sensation in his throat, which caused him to cough unusually hard, and during one of these hard coughing spells, the bullet was thrown out. And now Charlie carries the bullet in a bottle as a souvenir, after carrying it in his throat over twenty years.

Bismarck Tribune, 4/29/1901

Peanut in Lunch Causes Rugby Babe's Death

Houston Chester Miller, little son of Mr. and Mrs. H. E. Miller of Rugby, died in a local hospital March 1. A peanut with which the little lad was playing, lodged in his lungs and he was brot {sp} to Minot in hopes of a specialist might save his life. The child was born May 8, 1920. The remains were taken to Rugby for burial.

Ward County Independent, 3/9/1922

Next Week