Previous Week


Mrs. Geo. Parker was severely burned about the hands by a gasoline stove explosion in her apartments in the Scofield flat Thursday afternoon at 1 o'clock. Her husband was in the room at the time, and quickly extinguished the flamed by throwing some rugs about her. Most of the clothing was burned from her body and some which was hanging near the stove caught fire.

Ward County Independent, 3/14/1907

Suicide Near Fergus Falls.

Fergus Falls, Minn, April 6.— Henry Arola, living near New York Mills, committed suicide by hanging himself to a tree. Arola was a Finlander aged 27 and a brother of the one who killed his father a few years ago while insane. Henry Arola was to have been married in a week and his affianced was the first to discover his body hanging.

Bismarck Tribune, 4/7/1892

Joseph LaPorte Instantly Killed.

About 11:30 today Joseph LaPorte was killed in the G.N. yards, near the passenger depot. Mr. LaPorte had stepped down to the station to mail a letter on an east bonnd {sp} train and was crossing the main line track at the time of the accident. Passenger train No. 3 west bound was considerably late and was just pulling into the station, the pilot of No. 3's engine caught him and drew him under the wheels, killing him instantly. The head of the unfortunate man was nearly severed from the body and he was otherwise frightfully mangled.

Mr. LaPorte was a prominent business man of Minot, and had held several good positions in the government service. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and was held in high esteem by all who knew him. He was a kind father and loving husband. It is understood from reliable authority that Mr. LaPorte carried an insurance policy of $2,000 in the New York Life.

Acting Coroner Judge Murry impalled a jury and held an inquest over the remains this afternoon but up to going to press no verdict had been rendered.

Funeral services will be held Friday morning at 9:30 from the Catholic church under the auspices of that denomination.

Ward County Independent, 3/28/1903

"Wrinkle Meat" Nearly Killed Fred Willman 31 Years Ago

Fred J Willman informs the Independent that he was well acquainted with John N Smith, known as "Wrinkle Meat," the aged Minnesota Indian who died recently. Smith was credited with being 132 years old at the time of his death, tho good authority it was learned that he was probably less than a hundred. "Wrinkle Meat" once came near killing Mr. Willman, who was employed as a guide for Chicago parties at the lakes in Northern Minnesota. Mr. Willman and a friend where coming around a bend in the lake in a birch bark canoe at dusk and the old Indian was on the bank, looking for deer. He saw the canoe and at first thot {sp} it was a deer, He pulled up his rifle and was about to shoot when he heard the men talking. This was 31 years ago and Mr. Willman said the old man appeared to be about 70 years old at that time.

Ward County Independent, 3/9/1922


Margaret, 4-year-old daughter of Carl Dessinger, head miller of the Hebron Roller Mills, is dead from burns sustained when her clothing caught fire, according to information reaching here today.

She was visiting her grandmother Mrs. Hauser, several miles northwest of Hebron, and while watching men burn off the stubble field, got in the path of the flames. Her clothing caught fire. Her grandmother rushed to her rescue, and was badly burned in the attempt, but will recover.

The little girl's body was horribly burned. She lived for two days after the accident, suffering terribly.

Bismarck Tribune, 4/8/1921

Salesman Dies Suddenly.

J. B. Silver, traveler for a cigar factory, died suddenly last Saturday while in a sleigh en route from Grano to Lansford.

A young woman school teacher from Grano, bound for Minot, was in the sleigh with Silver and the driver. The men had been drinking. Silver suddenly lurched forward and fell out upon the snow dead.

The driver took the man's body to the side of a shack and drove on to Lansford, spreading the news. Silver's body, cold in death, was soon taken to Lansford.

The man had taken the place of Mr. Davies, who died suddenly at Crary only three weeks ago. Both men were well known in Minot.

Ward County Independent, 3/14/1907

Next Week