Below The Knee


Mercer County Woman Asphyxiated While Cleaning Stove Pipe.

Garrison Independent: Mrs. Peter Stern of Manhaven is dead supposedly from inhaling gas from a coal stove, and her son, aged 17 years, is very ill from the same effect. Mr. Stern, who runs an elevator at Manhaven, was at Garrison Wednesday for a load of lumber having left home about 8 o'clock that morning, and it was while he was away that the fatal accident occurred.

It is supposed here that after the father had left the two undertook to clean the stove pipes, and while thus engaged were overcome by gas fumes from the stove. Mr. Stern has the sympathy of all in his bereavement.

Bismarck Tribune, 1/1/1909


Posted 01/03/2014