Last Friday Joe Bray lost his barns and sheds by fire. One calf and about 20 tons of hay were consumed. The children had been playing in the barn a short time before the fire was discovered.
Dickinson Press, 2/2/1901
Hurley, S. D.
, Feb. 6—A distinct and sharp earthquake was felt here at 6 o'clock. The rumbling was felt ten seconds and passed from west to east. It was severe enough to shake the windows and articles hanging on the walls.
Elk Point, S. D., Feb. 6—An earthquake was felt at 5:40 o'clock. It was of three seconds duration. Houses shook, and doors, windows and dishes rattled. People were awakened in alarm.
Tyndall, S. D., Feb. 6.— A distinct earthquake shock was felt here. It seemed to pass from northwest to southeast.
Yankton, S. D., Feb. 6.—A violent earthquake shock was felt here. The disturbance was very marked and lasted about twenty-five seconds.
Dickinson Press, 2/8/1896
.—Following a quarrel, Frank Oberder, a local farmer, was shot and killed by his wife, it is alleged, on Sunday morning of last week. Mrs. Oberder has been arraigned before Judge Ellis, charged with murder in the first degree.
Langdon Courier Democrat, 1/2/1919
Deputy Sheriff Masteller went to Washburn Monday to arrest Frank Deacon for incendiarism. It appears that when Mr. Masteller was taking Deacon to Washburn
to serve thirty days in the county jail for breaking into Baby Cottingham's bank, he confessed to having set the Butte Livery barn on fire on purpose. The insurance companies keep up a standing offer of $500 for the arrest and conviction of anyone setting buildings on fire and it is pretty evidence that Mr. Masteller has the money coming his way in this case.
Washburn Leader, 2/19/1909
"PILL" STARTS FIRE
Minot Bell Boy Tries Few Puffs, but They Soothe Him to Sleep.
Minot, N. D., Feb. 5.—David Lewis, night bell hop at the Waverly hotel, had a vivid illustration this morning of the evils and dangers of cigarette smoking.
When Lewis went to bed at 7 o'clock yesterday morning he thought that he would smoke one last "pill" before going to sleep. He lit the cigarette and lay comfortably in bed puffing at it.
The young man was very tired, however, and as a result fell asleep with the cigarette still between his lips. The natural result was that it fell onto the bed.
Lewis awoke speedily to find the bed clothes in flames. He got busy with remarkable clarity and managed to extinguish the blaze before either he or the room had suffered serious damage.
Grand Forks Evening Times, 2/8/1913
Owing to the large number of people who will be at the masquerade tonight in costume, the management are obliged to request that those not masked will pleased not dance until after the unmasking at 11 o'clock, unless there be room in the rear end of the hall.
Jamestown Alert, 2/13/1890