Dakota Woman Loses Hat.
Spokane, Wash., Aug. 27.—Mrs. M. E. Gale, wife of Dr. Gale of Oakes, N.D., who, with her husband, stopped here to visit friends, suffered a peculiar mishap. While chatting with her husband and some acquaintances in a cigar store she drew too near a cigar lighter and ignited her hat, a straw and chiffon creation. It became a mass of flames and was torn from her head by her husband and thrown into the street, but not before her hair had been singed and her face and neck slightly burned.
The Hope Pioneer, 8/29/1912