Previous Week


Frank N. Harwood was sun-struck in the harvest field at Huron, and died in a few minutes. The mercury at Huron was 103—at Yankton 104—Mitchell 110, in some hot places.

Bad Lands Cow Boy, 8/6/1885

First Hawk, one of the signers of the original treaty between the government and the Sioux Indians is dead at his home on Bad river. A rattlesnake bit him.

Bismarck Tribune, 8/12/1918

A cyclone did much damage north of Ryder Sunday afternoon. All of the buildings on Geo. Harts place were wiped out. The crop was nearly destroyed. Mr. Bush saw the cyclone coming and got in his cellar just in time. The house was lifted up into the air and dropped down several feet from the foundation. The other buildings were taken three miles. The air was full of boards.

Ward County Independent, 7/20/1904

R. T. Walker, who was jailed on a charge of writing obscene letters to a Balfour girl who married the other fellow, has finally secured bail.

Bowbells Tribune, 6/15/1906

W. B. Walker Declared Insane.

W. B. Walker, the school teacher-printer, was adjudged insane at Towner last week and will be committed to the insane asylum.

Walker seems to be perfectly rational upon all questions, except that pertaining to one particulr {sp} lady, the wife of a lawyer named Owens of Balfour, who was formerly his steady girl.

The fact that the girl who was Miss Mackin, jilted Walker and married his rival, seems to have turned his head, for it is feared that if he is let go at large, he will slay Mr. and Mrs. Owens, and perhaps himself. Walker is a young man of good habits, pleasing address and it is hoped that he will rapidly recover from his hallucination.

Ward County Independent, 12/20/1906


Walked Into the Owen's Home at Balfour, Revolver in Hand, and Demanded Money—Is Well-known in Minot.

W. B. Walker, who walked into the home of D. T. Owens, a real estate dealer at Balfour and demanded money at the point of a big 38 calibre revolver, will be tried before Judge Goss at Towner Thursday. This is the third time Walker has been arrested at Balfour for threatening Owens and his wife. The trouble all started over the fact that Walker is infatuoted {sp} with Owen's wife, whom he met at a summer school in Minot four years ago, when both were teachers, and before Mrs. Owens was married. Her maiden name was Miss Mackin. Walker fell in love and kept company with her for some time. She respected him but could not think of him as a lover and Walker lost his suit. Owens, a prominent real estate dealer at Balfour, was more successful and won the lady. Walker then wrote threatening letters to Owens, instructing him to send a certain amount of money to him in Minot or he would wait upon him in Balfour on a certain day. The money did not come, and when Walker arrived in Balfour he was arrested. After lying in jail for sometime he was placed under bonds to keep the peace. This he did until the bonds run out when he again began writing threatening letters. He was again arrested and at his trial before Judge Amidon recently plead guilty but was told to go home and behave himself. This he failed to do.

He dressed in a huge fur overcoat and just as the Owens family were just about to sit at their supper table, walked into the house, pointing the gun at Owens, demanding money. Owens jumped up and running towards the man took the revolver from his hands. Walker refused to leave the house saying he wanted to talk, but was given one minute to leave. He started out and Owens followed. Owens was reinforced and Walker was taken to jail. He stated that he had no intentions of killing Owens and his wife, but he thot {sp} he ought to have money for his sufferings. He said that had he desired, he could have killed Owens from the alley as he sat in the house reading the paper.

Walker is a young man of pleasing appearance and really does not seem to be a bad fellow. He is an ex-printer, having worked for some time in the Independent office. He always conducted himself in a gentlemanly manner. His friends are surprised at his actions.

Ward County Independent, 12/20/1906



One of the members of the threshing crew out on the Slocum farm was attacked by another member of the crew with a knife during a quarrel Tuesday evening. Some of the members of the crew were playing poker, having little to do on account of the rainy weather. They had been drinking some and two of the young men, Riley, the victim, and a stranger whose name has not been learned, quarreled over the game. The stranger pulled a razor and cut Riley's throat, slashed his nose almost in two, and cut his ear, a quarter of an inch of the razor being broken off in the ear. A Minot surgeon was called out and patched Riley up, taking several stitches in his wounds. He is being cared for at the home of Mr. and Mrs. C. G. Hoover, who occupy the farm. It is said that he will recover.

The sheriff was notified and he went out to arrest the man who made the assault, but some of the members of the crew had given him some money and told him to "beat it." He came to Minot, where he was seen on the streets by Mr. Hoover Wednesday morning, but before the police could be notified he had escaped.

Ward County Independent, 9/30/1915

Daniel Shearer had a lively runaway one day last week, when the team he was driving to a hay rake becama {sp} frightened, throwing him beneath the rakee {sp} he suffered a bad cut on the head besides being badly bruised. Dr. Thompson of Wilton dressed his wounds, and Daniel don't care to repeat the experience again.

Washburn Leader, 8/15/1919

Next Week