Previous Week


Mott—The charred bodies of three children of James Sullivan were taken from the ruins of their home. It is believed a lamp exploded while the parents were away. The youngest child was six months, the oldest five years.

Cavalier County Farmers Press, 12/2/1920

Swallowed Too Much Morphine.

Deadwood, S. D., Dec. 1.—In an effort to allay a constant headache from which he had been suffering, Robert Armstrong, an old-time blacksmith in this section of the Black Hills, took an overdose of morphine and in a few hours was dead.

Golden Valley Chronicle, 12/5/1907


Animal Paws Child With Feet and Uses Teeth With Effect.

Grand Forks, N. D., Oct. 2.—Louis, the 3-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. S. Hellar of 825 First avenue south, was seriously if not fatally injured at a late hour yesterday afternoon by being bitten and trampled upon by a horse, belonging to Charles Ginsberg, a local junk dealer. The child, according to the story of his father, had been riding with his older brother upon a bicycle and had just been let down by the brother and was about to run to his father.

The horse, which Mr. Hellar claims is a vicious animal, grabbed the baby with his teeth and threw him under his front feet and trampled upon him inflicting several cuts and bruises and stepping on the child's abdomen. While the condition of the boy cannot be determined at this time because of the administration of chloroform by the attending physicians to relieve his intent suffering, it is believed the baby will recover, unless internal injuries develop.

The horse had been left standing in front of the Hellar residence by Mr. Ginsberg, who lives at 418 Oak street and was making a business trip about the city, buying junk.

Mr. Hellar is a tinner at one of the local shops and has made his home in Grand Forks for several years.

Bowbells Tribune, 10/3/1913

Last evening a young man giving his name as Charles Amerson came up to Officer Lowe and wanted to be arrested. He stated that he was a deserter from Fort Pembina, having taken his departure about a week ago. He was already tired of knocking about and was ready to go back to the fort and take his punishment. He was taken into custody and the commander at fort Pembina notified. The deserter will be returned to the fort tomorrow—Grand Forks Herald

Pembina Pioneer Express, 12/7/1894

Starkweather was without light for a few minutes Saturday evening. The load became so heavy the plant could not carry it. The addition of the moving picture machine was the cause of the trouble. When the new unit is installed this trouble will be done away with.

Devils Lake World and Inter-Ocean, 11/29/1917

George Hubbard, aged 60, had the misfortune to break his arm while walking along the slippery road near his farm on Tuesday. While falling, his right arm received the full weight of the body, breaking the larger bone of the right hand. Through the use of the X-ray machine at the Stough hospital what was at first thought to be a bad sprain showed itself to be a very severe break.

Golden Valley Chronicle, 12/10/1915

Next Week