Harry Rumney had to kill his dog Monday. It seemed that the same dog that bit Ed Poole's cows followed Mr. Rumney to Odessa, about two weeks ago, and bit his dog while there, and about four days ago his dog showed symptoms of madness. The brothers Rumney chained him up for four days, but as he got worse and more dangerous they had to shoot him. It was a very valuable dog Harry brought with him from Minnesota.
Devils Lake Inter-Ocean, 5/16/1885
All Are After Children.
Grand Forks.—A divorced father and mother, and the state, are rivals for the possession of four children of the couple, the case being heard by Judge C. M. Cooley. Chris Alberg and his divorced wife, now Mrs. Minnie L. Ayers, of Fargo, are fighting the claim made by each other for the children, while the state is contesting the claims of both. The couple separated about eight months ago, and since then the children have been cared for by Grand Forks county. The superintendent says neither parent should have the custody.
Pembina Pioneer Express, 6/6/1913
DOCTOR'S SERIOUS MISTAKE
Drank Ammonia for Medicine by Mistake.
Rev. J. P. Schell of Rolla met with a serious and painful accident. He went to the medicine cabinet to get a bottle of medicine, and by mistake picked up a bottle containing ammonia. As the medicine he intended to take has a bitter, nauseous taste he was accustomed to swallow it quickly. In this instance he disposed of it so quickly that the fumes of the ammonia did not attract his attention. Too late he discovered the mistake, and Mrs. Schell ran to his assistance. She administered beaten eggs until Drs. Verret and Plourde arrived and afforded relief. At the present time Mr. Schell is comparatively free from pain, but he cannot speak above a whisper, and it is feared that his vocal chords and bronchial tubes are affected, whether permanently or not is yet to be determined. Mr. Schell is expected to attend the general assembly of the Presbyterian church at Kansas City, Mo. If able, he will start on his Southern trip next week.
Golden Valley Chronicle, 5/29/1908
MERRY GETS 8 MONTHS IN JAIL.
Dickinson Member of "Frenzied Finance" Club Must Also Pay $700 for His Peculations.
C. F. Merry, the promoter of a railroad south from Dickinson, has been sentenced to eight months in the county jail, a fine of $200 and costs, fixed by the court at $500. Merry was convicted of obtaining money under false pretenses. Merry has been in all sort of promotion schemes for many years, but this is the first time that he has been convicted by jury at home. He had already spent the winter in the Adams county jail, being unable to secure bonds until the time of court last month. Three years ago Merry served a term in the county jail at Moorhead, Minn., for soliciting money for a life insurance company which he had organized and for which he had no license.
Pembina Pioneer Express, 6/11/1909
Lightning played another freakish prank at the home of Rufus Roscoe near Dickey
, a few nights ago. The bolt struck the house, tore things up in general and killed the dog. Several people were in the house at the time and not one was injured by the bolt.
Bismarck Tribune, 5/27/1914
The stable of Mr. H. Holderson, who lives a mile northeast of Gardar
, was set on fire by a prairie fire the 14th inst. In the stable were two cows and one of two calves. Holderson's neighbor, Sigurbjorn Sigurdson, and his son, working in a field close by, rushed to the rescue. The fire threatened the house, the only inmate of which was an old invalid woman. The men succeeded in saving the house and the stock out of the stable, but they burned their clothes and their faces and hands severely. They are both unable to do any work on account of their injuries. Meanwhile Sigurdson was rescuing his neighbor's property; his own wagon was burned.
Pembina Pioneer Express, 4/23/1886
Miss Laura Grant has a lovely pet hen and this morning the young lady brought to this office for the editor's Sunday breakfast an egg measuring 7 3/4 x 6 1/4 inches. The editor promises to eat all the big eggs.
Devils Lake Inter-Ocean, 5/16/1885
ANOTHER R. R. WRECK
We Have to Note, 'Tis but a Week Since
Last We Wrote of Loss of Life and
Damaged Train, this Time
the Last We Have
Another Serious Accident
Tenth siding, three miles west of Eldridge was the scene of quite an accident to a Northern Pacific freight train on Sunday last. The train was running only about fifteen miles an hour but the track slid or spread and threw ten cars into the ditch. There were several passengers in the caboose, three of whom were severely injured. Their names are Addison J. Smith, J. Robinson and Frank Kelly. Mr. Smiths injuries were very serious he having jumped from the train when the accident occurred and struck the side of his head on a tie and besides was injured internally. Conductor Tuttle in charge of the train also got a benefit, his head came in contact with a stove that was trying to make its way out of the window. He came near getting his eye knocked out but escaped with bad scalp wounds.He immediately ran back to flag a train that was following and succeeded in stopping it about forty rods away from the wreck. But for his prompt action a much greater loss of property and most likely considerable loss of life would have occurred. The wounded were brought to Jamestown and attended at the Dakota House by Doctors Baldwin and Drake. Mr. Smith is from Missouri and was traveling on a pass from Montana. He had been here but a few days ago and purchased the McKenzie house and lot intending to bring his family here at once. Mr. Kelly was in charge of a lot of stock for our contractors, Messrs. Lambert and Bill. Mr. Robinson was just returning from Montana. They are being well cared for at the Dakota House and were reported a little better last evening. Supt. Hobart was here at the time of the accident but proceeded at once to the spot and took prompt measures to relieve the sufferers and clear the track.
Jamestown Weekly Alert, 4/21/1882
DEATH CLAIMS LAVELLE
Fatal Accident Happened Saturday Afternoon at His Farm Home.
The death of Dan Lavelle occurred at his farm home about 10 miles south of the city Saturday afternoon at about 2 o'clock while he was engaged in helping unload a wagon of hay. He fell from the front of the load striking his head on the tongue of the wagon and died within an hour, death being caused by a clot of blood having formed on the brain as a result of the fall.
The deceased was a former resident of Minto coming there from Ontario, Canada, in 1878. He came to Grand Forks about three years later where he lived up to the time of his death. One brother, Owen Lavalle of Walle township, survives him.
The funeral was held from St. Mary's Catholic Church this morning at 9 o'clock, Rev. Father M. J. Fletcher officiating. Interment took place in Calvary cemetery.
Grand Forks Herald, 5/23/1918