Recovering Nicedly

Where They Were When The Armistice Was Signed

November 11, 1918, was one of the biggest days in the world's history, and it was the biggest day in the lives of many men and women. It was a very, very big day to many Grand Forks men, who were in France at the time. They were in various places and they did various things, when they got the news that the armistice had been signed. But they all celebrated, and it seems to have ben {sp} some celebration. Here is what a few local men say about the day:

Captain L. L. Eckman: "I was at Gondrecourt, where I was an instructor in the First Division Gun school when the armistice was signed. There was some celebration that night. I took a prominent part in the celebration that was held at the Y.M.C.A."

Maurice Ryan: "I don't remember the name of the town I was in the night the armistice was signed, but I know it was a mighty good town, and there were no American M.P.'s there."

F. F. Ross: "I was at St. Nazaire when the armistice was signed. Never mind what we did. It was plenty."

Dr. A. C. Dean: "I was on the U.S.S. Mercy, a short distance off the east coast of this country when the news that armistice had been signed was flashed to us by wireless. Our ship immediately steamed toward Philadelphia. We reached the city about 5 o'clock in the afternoon of November 11. The celebration in that city was at its highest when we arrived ashore and it was some celebration."

Sergeant Mose Rosenzweig: "When I heard that the armistice had been signed I was driving General Cole to Paris. Upon hearing the news the general ordered me to 'step on her' which I did and we soon reached Paris. It was given the remainder of the day off, and—that's all."

Harry Scouten: "On November 7, 1918, when the report came that the armistice was signed I was aboard the 'Empress of Asia,' bound for New York. We had quite a celebration on the ship but our joy was killed in short order when a wireless informed us that the report was a fake. We arrived in New York on the night of the 10th and when the confirmed report came in that the armistice had been signed—well New York went wild and I guess that I went with her."

W. G. Stevens: "I was just outside Metz with the 35th division waiting for the morning of the 13th to come. We were to go over the top on that morning, but the signing of the armistice cancelled all obligations along that line. Needless to say we had some little celebration."

Sam Ardies: "I was in Bordeaux with Evacuation Hospital No. 33. We were loaded and ready to move to Verdun, when the news of the armistice came. We loaded again."

Joe Brown: "Issodun was some place to be on November 11, 1918. I was with Camp Hospital 59, and when the news came the outfit was 'at ease.'

C. E. Zink stated: "I was with the 20th engineers at Chenonceaux, France, when the Armistice was signed. Out {sp} battalion was engaged in cutting timber for the construction of hospitals and roads and were not granted the day thereby missing the big celebration."

Sam Garber, a veteran of many battles said: "When the Armistice was signed I was in the hospital at Vichy, France, convalescing as the result of nine shrapnel wounds. Although badly crippled, I managed to make the cafe across the street from the hospital with the aid of crutches. Several of the other men, who were confined to the hospital, made the cafe in wheel-chairs while some were carried over on stretchers. Despite the disabled condition of the gang we had quite a celebration."

LeRoy W. Goodwater said: "When the Armistice was signed I was attending the officers' training school at Langres, France. The school closed for the day and the 5,000 of us attending invaded the fillage. We had some time."

Grand Forks Herald, 11/11/1920


Posted 11/11/2017