Home Brew


Alfred Hauenstein, known as "Dutch Alfred" was found dead in the cellar of an empty shack in "Coon Town", near Fourth Ave. and Fourth St. S.W. at 6:15 o'clock Wednesday evening. There was a bullet wound from an old .38 five shot "suicide gun", thru {sp} his head and the gun was still clasped in his hand. He had evidently been dead for a day or two. He either shot himself or was shot from close quarters as his face was powder blackened.

When D. W. Cole, colored, who was preparing to move into the shack went to look the house over, he discovered the remains in the basement, he reported to Chief of Police Larry Byrne. Hauenstein had been living at Cole's joint for several weeks. He had been cooking for a band of negroes who made headquarters at Cole's joint and about two weeks ago was arrested on complaint of several negroes who declared that Hauenstein had poisoned them by placing poison in their sugar. Hauenstein was placed in the city jail, but after remaining there for several days, Judge Lynch decided to let him go, as no further evidence had been produced concerning the poisoning in the sugar.

Hauenstein was interviewed by an Independent representative at the city jail and he stated that he did not poison the darkies. He said they did get sick, but it must have been from improperly cooked food, but that he did not poison them as he had no reason for wanting them out of the way.

When Judge Lynch released Hauenstein, he was told that Hauenstein had given a mulatto woman at Cole's place all of his money, about $90.00. They had kept up a correspondence and Hauenstein says the woman promised to marry him. Hauenstein was advised to go back to Cole's place as that was where he had left all his money, and see if the woman would take care of him. Hauenstein went back to the Cole joint and remained for several days.

Coroner Pence visited the shack where the body was found. It looks very much like a case of suicide, tho {sp} the case is being investigated as Hauenstein said while in jail that the negroes threatened to do him harm.

Hauenstein was about 55 years of age and was of German descent. So far as is known, he was unmarried. He filed on a homestead in Prescott township, four miles southeast of Glenburn about 20 years ago and remained there until about three years ago. He was regarded as an industrious farmer. He lived alone all that time and was very eccentric and the neighbors found him hard to get along with.

the remains have been taken to Rowan's morgue and Chief Byrne is telephoning the old neighbors of the deceased at Glenburn to ascertain the whereabouts of any relatives.

A grip belonging to Hauenstein had been left at the city jail by him for safe keeping. In it are a number of pictures taken in the Minnesota woods where he spent many winters. There is clothing and several letters, including one written by a brother, Henry, who lives in Akron, O. His broher {sp} will be notified.

Hauenstein told Judge Lynch he still owned his Glenburn farm on which there is a mortgage of $2500.00. He said he could have sold it for $4500.00 one time, but was advised that the price was too cheap.

The officers are inclined to think that Hauenstein met with foul play and are investigating on that theory. After he was let out of the city jail on Dec. 13, he returned to the colored shack run by Mrs. Cole and her son, D. T. Cole, and was soon back in the city jail, informing the police that a whole bunch of the colored folks, jumped on him and tried to drive him out. One of them cut his thumb with a knife, he says. His hand was tied up. He sat around the city jail for a long time and informed the police that he was afraid to go back to the Cole shack on account of threats that had been made. Officer Bakeman said he had only three cents in his pocket and felt that he was compelled to go where he might get his board. The officers told him he might return to the city jail if it became too hot for him among the colored folks.

The officers have grave doubts that he committed suicide and rather believe that he was murdered. When found, the gun was in his right hand which was doubled under his body. He had been shot in the right temple. If he was standing when he shot himself, officers say the gun would have fallen out of his hand. If he was lying down when he shot himself, he could not possibly have had his arm in that position. His murdered could have lured him into the basement and killed him at close range, then place the fun in his hand afterwards. Hauenstein was not known to have a gun and after he left the jail, he did not have enough money to buy one. The gun is an old rusty affair, but a wicked shooter. There are four cartridges and the one empty shell in the gun. Arrests are very apt to be made today.

When Hauenstein was arrested Dec. 8, the charged was filed against him by a white man, J. C. Cassel and a colored man, D. W. Cole.

Ward County Independent, 12/22/1921

His Own Manufacture

Posted 12/29/2016